I'm one of the six Core Integrators that have been tasked with merging pull requests on the official MODX repository. Lately I've been slacking a bit (no pun intended) as there's been so much happening at modmore, but this month I'm going to do my best to catch up.
Inspired by yearly initiatives like 24 Pull Requests, I'm doing my own variation on that this year. Rather than contributing a pull request every day until Christmas, I'm going to try to merge (at least!) one pull request every day, starting today. There were 66 open pull requests this morning, so there is plenty of good work by others that deserves to be included in upcoming releases of MODX. Theoretically, in 24 days we'll be down to 42, but maybe some of the other integrators like the idea and help bring it down further, hint hint!
In this blog post, I'll keep a list of which pull requests have been merged on what day. I've lasted updated this post on 2015-12-10 22:44:49 - if that's more than a day ago, be sure to hold me accountable via twitter.
December 1st, 2015 (Tuesday)
Got really excited to start!
- #12776: Making manager more mobile friendly - great work by JP DeVries, excited this is now included in 2.5
- #12746: Use the maximum height available when viewing the error log - if you're on a larger screen you can now view a lot more in the error log at once, thanks to Romain!
- #12774: Update Font Awesome to 4.5 - Font Awesome 4.5 includes the MODX logo as icon-modx (or fa-modx outside MODX), so obviously we need that. By JP again.
- #12784: Fix icon-coffee icon - Another one related to Font Awesome, you were unable of using icon-coffee for showing the cup of coffee icon in the manager. Now fixed, again by JP.
62! 63 because JP sent another pull request!
December 2nd, 2015 (Wednesday)
64 pull requests total today, it's going to be hard to get the number down if we keep getting this much new contributions.
- #12795: Fix uberbar on desktop - fixed an issue introduced yesterday in #12776 where the uberbar wouldn't show up in 2.5. Fix by JP.
- #12773: Improve tree usability - thanks to this improvement by Lukas you now have a much larger click target to expand a container in 2.5. Clicking the arrow, icon or empty space will expand or collapse a container, while clicking the name will open it for editing.
- #12747: Add resource information to OnResourceAutoPublish event - Chris proposed adding some extra information to the OnResourceAutoPublish event, providing info on what resources were affected, which will be in 2.5.
Down to 61 open pull requests!
December 3rd, 2015 (Thursday)
Took a little detour to pull requests targeting 2.4.3 today.
- #12772: Fix fatal error when user doesn't exist - contribution by tehsquidge which fixes a fatal error on the user panel when a user isn't found.
- #12745: Fix CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION warning caused by configcheck widget - fix by Bezumkin for a warning getting logged when a user opened the dashboard if open_basedir or safe_mode was enabled.
- #12700: Add version hash to loading manager assets - contribution by inreti to make upgrades easier as the browser cache is automatically updated
Down to 58. Also sent two pull requests fixing issues introduced in the mobile-friendly improvements in #12776: #12798 (ensuring compatibility with custom manager themes and #12799 (fixing scrolling on large displays - whoops), so back up to 60 open pull requests total now.
December 4th, 2015 (Friday)
- #12741: Pass modX by reference - contribution by Romain Tripault that makes sure the manager works on PHP7
December 5th, 2015 (Saturday)
- #12801: Adding PHP7 and HHVM to the Travis build - simple change that makes sure Travis runs the tests on PHP7 and HHVM as well, again contributed by Romain.
- #12794: Improving keyboard nav and screen reader support of login screen - more great accessibility work by JP, also a small one in #12787
Also sent a really important pull request (merged by Mike within the hour), and a second pull request related to the travis tests as well.
December 6th, 2015 (Sunday)
Oops... missed a day :(
December 7th, 2015 (Monday)
To make it up with you for missing a day, here's a couple more merges into 2.x for the 2.5 release:
- #12808: Update PHPMailer to 5.2.14 - contribution by Lukas that updates the included PHPMailer to 5.2.14
- #12807: Update Smarty to 3.1.27 - another update by Lukas, this time Smarty upgraded to 3.1.27
- #12749: Allow uberbar icons/labels to be set server side - bit of an edge case, but if like Romain you're extending the uberbar, previously you could not set custom icons or labels for new result types. With this patch you can define them server-side as well.
After a week of this project, there's now 58 open pull requests. I'm very pleased to see the constant flow of contributions that are being sent to MODX from a range of contributors. At the start of December there were 66 open pull requests, and despite merging 16 of those myself (and several more by other integrators) we've only gone down 8 pull requests in a week. That's equally sad (I was hoping for a larger decline after 1-2hrs of work every day!), but also amazing that we can count on so many contributions from people that genuinely make MODX better.
I've been trying to merge more than one per day as we have so many great contributions pending, and it's really quite a bit of work to stay on top of things. Not every pull request is always ready to get merged, which means that before you get to one that is ready to go you've already spent some time going through the list, reviewing code, figuring out if it's a bug fix or improvement (which can be a very fuzzy line!) to know what branch to merge to, checking for signed CLAs and proper processes, before even getting to the git magic, testing and determining if it's merge-ready. If you'd like to help out make it easier on the volunteering integrations, you can help out with code reviews, making sure people use the right template in pull request (or at the very least provide all relevant information so we don't have to ask) and of course testing out pull requests (especially larger ones) and commenting your findings. That will help integrators spend more time on actually integrating, which will help MODX become better more quickly.
At the moment, it looks like both 2.4.3 and 5.3.0-rc1 could be coming before the end of the year, but there's a lot of pending improvements that would be great to get in. With a bit of help, I'm sure we can get a lot of those merged in to make some really great releases.
December 8th, 2015 (Tuesday)
- #12802: Fix remember me option on manager login - fix provided by first time contributor timbx, this fix in 2.4.3 makes sure your login is remembered even when the browser is closed.
- #12800: Show message when triggering an URI refresh - thanks to Mike Reid we now see a status message after triggering a URI refresh, rather than no feedback at all.
December 9th, 2015 (Wednesday)
- #12775: Add feature to unpack zip files from the file tree/media manager - nice new feature by Lukas!
- #12814: Add unpub_date to result of autopublish event - added on to #12747, this PR by Chris adds some extra information to the data available on the auto publish event.
December 10th, 2015 (Thursday)
- #12738: Ensure setup can continue if date.timezone is not set - proposed by Thomas
- #12809: Make modPhpThumb wrapper class compatible with PHP7 - more work towards making MODX ready for PHP7, merged into 2.5.
Down to 53 open pull requests, making progress!
More to come tomorrow!