VersionX 2.0 finally available!
In December 2010 I started developing VersionX 1.0 as a pet project. Now, 16 months later, I'm very glad to announce the immediate release of VersionX 2.0 - more stable, powerful, better organised, and available for MODX 2.0-2.2.
While you can view the entire 2.0 changelog on Github, here's the gist of what you really want to know right now:
- Keeps track of changes to Resources (including TV values), Templates, Template Variables, Chunks, Snippets and Plugins. If you don't want to version a specific type of element, you can also disable that per element type.
- Offers a central component to view the details of versions and compare them for Resources, Templates and Template Variables.
- Offers the ability to revert Resources to a prior state.
- Has the (optional) ability to display tabs with a versions grid on Resource and Template update forms.
- It's free (though donations are appreciated)
You can help!
We're currently in a release candidate phase. That means I have been using it for months on my own and client sites, but that it could probably do with more real world testing and people breaking it in ways I wouldn't have been able of thinking off.
Here's some ways to help shape up VersionX:
- First of all: install it, use it, think of ways to make it better and post it on Github.
- Developers: find bugs or requested features, and use Github to send over a pull request with your addition.
- International folks: translate the lexicon file (just one for now) to your native tongue for inclusion in the next version.
- Make a donation.
- Spread the word! Blog about it, point people to the package when they need Versioning, share it on facebook or tweet it out!